.:[Double Click To][Close]:.
Get paid To Promote 
at any Location





Monday, June 7, 2010

James Schuyler: Horse-Chestnut Trees and Roses


.

File:Aesculus hippocastanum-1.jpg

Leaves and trunk of Aesculus hippocastanum (common horse-chestnut), Estrela Garden, Lisbon: photo by Alvesgaspar, 2007




Twenty-some years ago, I read Graham Stuart Thomas's
"Colour in the Winter Garden." I didn't plant
a winter garden, but the book led on to his
rose books: "The Old Shrub Roses," "Shrub Roses
of Today," and the one about climbers and ramblers.


File: Rosa Nevada07.jpg

Rosa "Nevada", Épône, France: photo by Spedona, 2007


By the corner of the arbor I planted the splendid

Nevada (a Spanish rose, Pedro Dot) and on the arbor
yellow Lawrence Johnston -- I've never known
anyone who made a real success of that. Then
a small flowered rose (like a blackberry in flower),
whose name I forget, and then, oh loveliness, oh
glory, Mme. Alfred Carrière, white, with a faintest
blush of pink, and which will bloom even on a
north wall. I used to shave and gaze down into her --
morning kisses. The day Robert Kennedy died, a
green and evil worm crawled out of a bud. I killed
it, a gardening Sirhan Sirhan.

At the corner of the house Rosa Mutabilis fluttered
its single, changeable wings. My favorite, perhaps.



File:Rosa Golden Wings 2.jpg

Rosa "Golden Wings", San Jose Heritage Garden: photo by Stan Shebs, 2005


Then, in the border, along the south side of
the white house, Golden Wings (a patented rose --
did you know you can patent roses? Well, you can);
prickly, purplish Rose de Rescht; Souvenir
de la Malmaison (named by a Russian Grand Duke in
honor of the Empress Joséphine, Empress of Rosarians);
Mabel Morrison, lifting her blowsy white blooms
to the living-room windows.

Then Georg Arends, whose silver-pink petals
uniquely fold into sharp points (or is Georg
my favorite?).

And darkly brooding Prince Camille de Rohan, on
which, out of a cloudless sky, a miraculous rain
once fell. (But I'm forgetting Gloire de Dijon,
Dean Hole's favorite rose.)

Then the smallest, most delicate, delectable
of all, Rose de Meaux. Alas, it pined away.



File:Rosa 'Zephirine Drouhin'.jpg

Rosa "Zephirine Drouhin", gr. Borbonianas, sect. Chinensis, Real Jardin Botánico, Madrid: photo by A. Barra, 1988


And elsewhere more: Rosa Gallica, the striped
and the pink, the Pembertons, Persian yellow,
and unforgettable cerise Zéphirine Drouhin.
And a gray rose, Reine des Violettes. Sweet-
brier, Mme. Piere Oger, Variegata di Bologna,
"like raspberries and cream." And more,
whose names escape me.

I went by there Sunday last and they're gone, all
gone, uprooted, supplanted by a hateful "foundation
planting" of dinky conifers, some pointed, some
squatty roundish. I put a curse on it and them.


File:Aesculus hippocastanum flori.jpg

Aesculus hippocastanum (common horse-chestnut), flowers: photo by Bogdan Gíusca, 2005


On either side of the front walk there towered two

old horse-chestnut trees. I loved their sticky,
unfurling leaves, and when they bore their candles
it was magic, breath-catching, eye-delighting. Cut
down, cut down. What kind of man cuts down trees
that took all those years to grow? I do not
understand.

Oh, well, it's his house now, and I remove the
curse, but not without a hope that Rose de Rescht
and the rugosas gave him a good scratching. He
deserved it.


File:Rosa Rose de Rescht.jpg

Rosa "Rose de Rescht" (France, 1940), Bonn, Germany: photo by Florian Moeckel, 2007


But oh dear: I forgot the five Old China Monthly
roses, and I always wish I'd planted Félicité
et Perpétue -- it's their names I like. And
Climbing Lady Hillingdon.

(But the Garland grown as a fountain seemed
somehow beyond me.)


File:Rosa 'Felicite et Perpetue'.jpg

Rosa "Félicité et Perpétue", gr. Sempervirens, sect. Synstaelae, Real Jardin Botánico, Madrid
: photo by A. Barra, 1988



There are roses and roses, always more roses.
It's the horse-chestnut trees I mind.




File:Kiev kashtan.jpg

Aesculus hippocastanum (common horse-chestnut), Kiev: photo by K. Eno, 2006



James Schuyler: from Last Poems in Collected Poems, 1993

("I have a special thing about roses" -- Letters)

No comments:

Post a Comment